Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 02:36:34PM -0800, David Conrad wrote:
> Mans,
>
> On Feb 13, 2012, at 2:17 PM, Måns Nilsson wrote:
> > To sum things up, we are at the stage where a /10 is a laughable
>
> > proposition.
>
> Other than APNIC, I don't think this is correct.  Perhaps folks from the RIRs can confirm.

Reading from policy texts, it is. What is stuffed away in the RIR dungeons
might technically support such an allocation, of course. For some time still.

> > It is either 10/8 or squat. No other alternatives exist. I'd expect
> > squatting on the "wrong" /8 to be punishable as a Homeland Security
> > Department -related crime, if one takes the US-centric view.
>
> I doubt this, particularly since the use of the addresses we're talking about is entirely internal.

Internal schmernal. Stuff leaks. Either by people watching allocations
and going "Hey...." or by routing slip "Hey, this block ain't 1918,
let's route it...".

> > Folks, we've run out.
>
> "I'm not dead yet!" (to misquote Monty Python)

The rumours are persistent, though.

--
Måns.