Re: ITC copped out on UTC again

On Feb 7, 2012, at 11:03 , Tony Finch wrote:

> Actually TAI depends a lot on relativity as well as quantum physics. For
> example, it is supposed to match the rate of the SI second on the geoid
> (which is roughly mean sea level). NIST's lab in Colorado is about a mile
> high, so they have to apply a general relativistic rate correction to
> their atomic clocks because of their gravitational potential.

I'm aware of that.  The point I was trying to make so clumsily is that, outside of the physical contexts where relativity and quantum effects are significant, TAI is a comparatively stable and predictable timescale next to the UTC and the NTP timescales.

It would be a perfectly good replacement as The Internet Timescale.

>> so it should be good enough for most running code on the Internet.
>
> Except where that code needs UTC.

...or awareness any other timezone, for that matter.

On Feb 7, 2012, at 11:12 , John C Klensin wrote:

> You obviously have not been in enough meetings in which proposals were put forth, by political types with the best of intentions, for regulations to improve the Internet...

I said "somewhat resistant" not "impervious" didn't I?  [I'm not going to recount any of the stories I know about various famous technology sector executives and their unhappy encounters with the laws of physics.]

--
james woodyatt <jhw@xxxxxxxxx>
member of technical staff, core os networking