RE: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

> From: Noel Chiappa [mailto:jnc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> Is that wise? I thought (IIRC, and maybe I'm spacing) the whole reason for
> allocating this space was that 1918 space _couldn't_ easily be used for CGN
> because there were too many conflicting usages.
[WEG] yes, but the general sense I got from the ensuing discussion was that no one expects anyone to actually adhere to that advice (ie MUST NOT be used as substitute for 1918 space), and as soon as the space is released, it'll be "cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria..." because everyone and their cousin will start using it as 1918-bis anyway, no matter whether the IETF wags their fingers at them or not.

> So, now we're making more 1918 space? This is a good idea... how? If we need more 1918 space, let's do so
> deliberately, and not kill the usefulness of this space for CGN. (Unless, of
> course...)

[WEG] I think it provides a window of opportunity - get in before the place gets busy. Hopefully by the time people have really adopted the space for 1918-type uses, working IPv4 CGN will be of less relevance... or at least that's what I'm telling myself. This just acknowledges what people believe to be the case instead of trying to deny that it'll happen.

Wes George