Re: Protocol Definition

On 1/5/2012 6:48 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> On 1/4/2012 2:07 AM, Yaakov Stein wrote:
>> A protocol is to communications what an algorithm is to computation.
>

> The mantra that I was taught many years ago was that a process is a
> program in execution.  A program is the instructions.  That seems
> compatible with the above observations.
>
> (One can quibble about the difference between algorithm and program.  An
> algorithm is a component of a program.

The program is the code-based implementation of the alg?

 The distinction is relevant here
> because a protocol is typically a complete mechanism rather than being a
> component of the mechanisms.

I.e. "A complete method of doing something"...

> On the other hand, an entire Internet
> service might comprise multiple protocols.)

Yes but the Service then is a superset of the Protocols themselves in
that instance as opposed to a single service.

> My question is:
>
>      If protocol corresponds with program or algorithm, then what is the
> communications term that corresponds to process?

I think Event Streams seems to be the best way of categorizing those
happenings (or events).

>      It's tempting to say "port number", but that doesn't seem very
> satisfying.

No, you are right here and it's because there may be no ports/sockets in
the protocol as in IPC for instance.

--
Todd S. Glassey
This is from my personal email account and any materials from this

Further I OPT OUT of any and all commercial emailings.