Re: Consensus Call (Update): draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

On Dec 7, 2011, at 7:46 AM, Simon Perreault wrote:

> On 2011-12-06 22:06, Benson Schliesser wrote:
>> ISPs need to use addressing within this scope that does not cause (additional)
>> problems for their existing customers (and their customers' equipment). And in
>> the event of an addressing conflict, operators (on both sides) need a common
>> reference to determine who is at "fault" - i.e. who is responsible for fixing
>> the problem.
>
> Are you suggesting that ISPs MUST use the proposed /10 for CGNs?

In principle, I probably would not object to this suggestion. But I think that SHOULD is a better description of the requirement.  (And I could be missing it, but I can't find such language in e.g. RFC1918.)

> That's... interesting. Maybe it could empower customers when an ISP is using something else (e.g. squat space) for its CGN and it's causing issues...

Yes, I would hope so. As a BCP for numbering CGN NAT444 deployments, it would provide a useful reference point.

Cheers,
-Benson