Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

On 12/04/2011 19:10, Chris Donley wrote:

> More seriously, the impression I've gathered from various discussions
> is that the 90/10 model is viable, but it's not the first choice
> because the 10 part involves customer service work that those
> interested in deploying CGN would like to avoid in order to protect
> their margins. I'm not sympathetic.
>
> [CD] Really?  10% of customers having problems is a viable model?

I should have inserted the word "technically" in there to make my
meaning more clear. Sorry about the confusion.

> Let's do the math here.  Consider a 10M subscriber ISP. Your breakage
> model (10%)

Please note, that's a total WAG. My gut is that the actual amount of
breakage will be substantially less, especially for an ISP that deals
primarily with the SOHO market.

> would generate at least 1 M support calls (some people
> may call more than once).  Let's say a support call costs $50 (I
> don't know the exact cost, but I think this is close), so the cost of
> supporting a 10% failure case will be close to the $50M you keep
> quoting (multiply this by the number of affected ISPs).  What do you
> think an ISP will do if faced with this option and no Shared CGN
> Space? Select an IETF-specified RFC1918 block of addresses and deal
> with $50M of support costs plus 1M upset subscribers?  Acquire
> addresses from the RIR (or from an address broker)?  Or squat on
> someone else's space?

Thank you for confirming publicly that the issue here is not a technical
one, but rather that the ISPs would prefer not to bear the costs of
dealing with the problem that they helped create.

> And if that doesn't fully answer your "Which part don't you agree
> with?" question, I doubt that even a significant portion of ISPs are
> going to use routable addresses internally for CGN as the value of
> those addresses for their intended purpose is only going to increase,
> and they will still need to be able to number publicly facing things
> after the RIRs have exhausted their supply.
>
> [CD] So you're really arguing for squat space?

Certainly not. I think I've made my position on the "right" way to
handle this issue perfectly clear.

> I have a real problem
> with that.  I know people are already doing it, but I think it sets a
> bad precedent and increases risk of interoperability problems across
> the Internet. I believe the IETF has a vested interest in
> discouraging address squatting, and should act accordingly.

If it's already being done then we've got "running code," right? :)

More seriously, it sounds to me like the most persuasive argument in
favor of doing the new allocation boils down to simple extortion. "Give
us a $50,000,000 'gift' or we'll do bad things to the intahrnetz."

Doug

--

		[^L]