Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

--On Sunday, December 04, 2011 20:40 -0600 Pete Resnick
<presnick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nope, but your close. The assumption in my question is that if
> the legacy (broken?) gear in question all uses 10/8 *and* we
> publish a document that declares a particular (presently
> unused by said gear) block of 1918 address space is henceforth
> off limits to use in equipment that can't translate when
> addresses are identical on the outside and the inside, then
> the use of that 1918 address space might be "safe" for CGNs to
> use. I do not presume that it *is* safe; only that the
> question has not been answered.

Then the document we should be discussing and approving should
say "even if you were dumb enough to but and deploy in the past,
devices that don't have a clear and well-documented way to
perform address translation while using the same addresses on
the inside and outside have no future, especially in IPv4.  They
should not be expected to work in reasonable ISP
configurations".

Whether we can or should also provide advice about address
ranges for older devices that cannot be upgraded is another
issue.  But it is not a very interesting one because:

If you advise using some piece of the 1918 space, you can only
say "We aren't aware of anyone using this space under so-and-so
circumstances" and not "We can prove that no one is using that
space".

If you advise using a newly-dedicated block, you can only say
"We have allocated this block for this purpose. and no one can
legitimately use it for anything else".  You cannot say, "It is
safe to use that new block without careful design and good
implementations because we are sure that no one has squatted one
it, no one has anticipated the allocation, no one is trying to
use it in layers, and no one is going to accept a routing
announcement for it".

I also don't know quite how to parse your conditions above
because the only legacy one-many IPv4 NAT gear I've used that
doesn't permit using the same addresses "inside" and "outside"
use parts of the 192.168/16 space, not 10/8.  The devices I've
encountered that use 10/8 instead are able to handle those
duplicate addresses although the mechanism for configuring it
may not be very well explained in documentation.  That
information is, however, worthless to you because it is
completely anecdotal and doesn't say a thing about the
particular devices you are looking for.

   john