Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

On 12/02/2011 09:50, Ted Hardie wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Doug Barton <dougb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:dougb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/01/2011 22:07, Ted Hardie wrote:
>     > No, I think that premise is mis-stated.   Premise 1: There exists
>     > equipment that can't handle identical addresses on the interior and
>     > exterior interface.  Premise 2: it may be deployed now or in the
>     future
>     > for customers using any part of the RFC 1918 allocation *because those
>     > using the RFC 1918 allocations had no prior warning that this might
>     > create a collision*.  Conclusion:  You cannot avoid identical
>     addresses
>     > on the interior and exterior interface by using any part of the
>     RFC 1918
>     > allocation.
>
>     But doesn't that same line of reasoning apply to any new allocation
>     that's made for this purpose? You can fix the problem for today, but you
>     can't fix it for the future because you can't prohibit customers from
>     using the new allocation on the inside of their network.
>

> If a customer uses a CGN-specific allocation on the inside of their
> network as if it were RFC 1918 space, then, yes, they will have trouble
> if they ever use a provider that uses a CGN.

Thanks. So my point is, this proposed allocation doesn't solve anything,
it just kicks the can down the road a while. That's not enough benefit
to justify the cost.

> At the very least, though,
> they have collaborated in their need to renumber by ignoring the quite
> plain warnings that this is a bad idea.   They did not have that warning
> about using an allocation from RFC 1918 space.
>

>     Therefore, making the allocation is a pointless waste of resources that
>     can be better utilized elsewhere.
>
>     Step 1: Determine the most popular inside prefixes for CPEs
>     Step 2: Use the least popular RFC 1918 prefix for the CGN network
>     Step 3: If your customer has somehow chosen the same prefix, tell them
>     they can't do that.
>
>     And yes, I realize that Step 3 is going to be incredibly unpopular for
>     the ISPs, but they created the problem, so they should have to live with
>     the results.
>

> It's not going to be unpopular with ISPs, it will be unpopular with
> *customers*.

... which is why it'll be unpopular with the ISPs. See what I did there? :)

> To retain those customers, the ISPs will simply ignore the
> RFC and use some other space.  At least, that's my prediction.

Works for me.

Doug

--

		"We could put the whole Internet into a book."
		"Too practical."