Re: An Antitrust Policy for the IETF

On Dec 2, 2011, at 9:12 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:24 PM, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Rather than trying to set up rules that cover all hypothetical developments, I would suggest
>>> a practical approach. In our process, disputes are materialized by an appeal. Specific legal
>>> advice on the handling of a specific appeal is much more practical than abstract rulemaking.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> This has the admirable advantage of waiting until there is an actual
>> problem to address, rather than trying to guess what has not happened
>> in the past 30 years but might happen in the future.
>>
>> R's,
>> John
>>

> I must admit that I don't understand that reasoning at all, assuming
> that this discussion is still about anti-Trust policy. Once there is
> an actual problem to address, it will be because we are enmeshed in a
> lawsuit, and it will be much too late to change our policies.

Just because we are enmeshed in a lawsuit doesn't mean that we need to change or create a policy. The lawsuit will be based on whatever they can hook us on, whether it is "they have no policy and they should have", "they had a policy but it was the wrong one", or "they had a reasonable policy but were not enforcing it so we were harmed" (the latter being the tone of the suit discussed earlier in this thread).

Having a policy, even one that is enforced, does not necessarily prevent the damage of a lawsuit. In fact, it could make things worse. We just don't know.

> Now, I
> realize that that does not prove that we have to change our policies
> (I regard that as the output of this exercise), but saying you want to
> wait until there is a problem to consider changes is IMO akin to
> saying you don't want to consider putting in fire extinguishers until
> there is a fire.

The message quoted above says nothing about "wait until there is a problem to consider changes". It says that we don't know how to reduce our risks so we shouldn't flail around guessing. I would add "because some of our guesses can make things worse than our current state".

--Paul Hoffman