Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2011, at 6:27 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
>>
>> Seriously, I think we *SHOULD* use 240/10.
>> (let's keep some for the next horrible hack)
>
> I agree, this is a good use of the "Experimental" Class E IPv4 addresses.
> It seems to me that this is for new deployments (the CDN gear and new
> customer CPE equipment). The operators who want this should be able to
> make this work and and incur the cost for doing so.

   While I am neither for nor against allocation of a /10 from ordinary
routable space, I would strongly favor allocation of a /10 from 240/4.
It's not obvious to me from reading draft-weil why this wouldn't work;
and I believe that allocations from 240/4 are quite appropriate, given
the imminent exaustion of ordinary IPv4 space.

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>