[Idle chatter] IBM & open source (Plagued by PPTX again)

On 2011-11-19 07:46, David Morris wrote:

>>> Because once you try an open source mail reader, you'll never want to go
>>> back to Lotus Notes?   :-)
>> That was way before IBM ever thought of buying the remains of Lotus.
>
> That makes it sound like an urban rumor to me ... I'm pretty sure that
> general awareness of open source as a concept let alone competator an IBM
> sales man needed to be concerned about post dates IBM's acquisition of
> Lotus.

Definitely. It was my boss's boss in IBM, Irving Wladawsky-Berger, who
turned IBM on to Linux and open source in general, and that was years
after IBM bought Lotus and made all employees use Notes.

I can believe it took a year or three for this to influence the salespeople
whose bonus depended on selling proprietary software.

   Brian