Re: Plagued by PPTX again

David Morris wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, Robinson Tryon wrote:
> >
> > If authors take on the responsibility of creating and verifying the
> > fidelity of exported versions, then I think everything will be peachy.
> > What can we do to encourage this practice?
>
> Start by compensating them for the work required to conform to this
> requirement?
>
> The IETF is a bunch of volunteers, most of whom carve out time for
> participation from time needed to satisfy other responsiblities.
>
> The authors already have issues with the basic tool set and compatiblity
> with the computing environments needed for other life responsiblities.
> Now you want to dictate a new step.

The awkward xml2rfc I-D authoring process can hardly be compared to
the effort of a minuscule mousemove when saving your presentation.

The additional effort on save + upload (especially for those boasting
about bleeding-edge bells'n'whistles slide-making software) is
less than 10 seconds to select a different format (PDF) on save.
For the data that is uploaded during the IETF Meeting (which is
a significant fraction) network bandwith is not an issue, its local.

Assuming an engineer with $100/hour, 10 seconds = 0.28 cents.

How about the IESG having a box of special brownies at IETF meetings
to reward those nice presentations authors who save the all of the
IETF participants downloading form datatracker combined
a few hours hours per document.

-Martin