Re: Plagued by PPTX again

Nick Hilliard wrote:

> [...]
> > Correct.  "Upgrading" an installation takes me a full week until it
> > works as smoothly as the original working environment.  I don't have
> > more than one week per year available for such waste.
>
> Ok, so let me get this right: 12 computing environments, all of which are
> out of date by at least 3 years, and you can only afford one week every
> year for managing updates - which is enough time to update exactly one
> installation.  And because of this awkward situation you find yourself in,
> you feel that the IETF should hold off supporting a 5 year old file format,
> supported by the majority of computers in the world?

What is much more important is that the data formats used by the
IETF will still be fully supported in 15-20 years.  For a new,
and more so a proprietary data format, it takes at least 5 years
to figure out whether it is widely adopted and will be supported
at least 15-20 years into the future.

None of my working environments is actually out of date -- or they
would not be working environments.

Our customers are actually paying a lot of money to get our software
supported on platforms for more than 10 years (2-3 years in development
plus 10 years in full support, and a few more years).

The code that I develop (middleware stuff: gss-api,tls,pkix,cms) is compiled
for a variety of platforms (SunOS 5.8-5.11, AIX 4.3.3-6.1,
HP-UX 11.0-11.31, Linux SLES 7-11, OS/390 10.00-20.00, MS Windows 5.0-6.1,
plus a few that we will discontinue end of 2013, including OSF/1.)

Home and Laptop is 3xWinXP,Linux-32,Linux-64,Win7-64
At work it is XP,XP-64,SunOS,Linux-32,Linux-64,Win7-32

Every data or file format that I can use on only a small subset of
my work environments in a royal PITA to deal with.  PDF is OK,
PPT is bad, PPTX is horrible.

-Martin