Re: [IETF] Re: Plagued by PPTX again

On 2011-11-15 23:13, Warren Kumari wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2011, at 5:55 PM, Ray Bellis wrote:
>
>> On 15 Nov 2011, at 16:26, Bob Hinden wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>> The Datatracker does officially support PPTX, so I don't believe it's unreasonable to use it.  If you don't like that policy, I'm not sure where you would take that up.

I missed the discussion of that change.

>> It also hadn't occurred to me that people might actually prefer PPT over the more open PPTX format.

I haven't fallen for the notion that OOXML is open. I saw too much of
that particular sausage been forced through the ISO sausage machine.
It's just a pragmatic issue for me - PPT was successfully reverse
engineered many years ago.

I will update my OpenOffice to see if it really handles PPTX properly,
when I get a chance.

>> I've also noticed that you can get problems when exporting to PDF using Office for Mac 2008.  It mangles ligatures when you copy&paste the PDF contents into something
>> else.
>

> Yes… This part is REALLY annoying…
>
> Wanting to be a good jabber scribe, I try insert the slide titles into the jabber room so that folk can follow along at home….
>
> Cutting and pasting from PDFs exported by Office (including on Windows) gives me things like: "Algorithm*MigraFon*Documents*"

I don't know the Mac situation, but this isn't an uncommon class of
problem; I see it quite often in random PDF documents. Nothing is perfect.

One approach is to "print" the document via a virtual PostScript printer
to a .ps file and then convert the .ps to .pdf using ghostscript. That usually
seems to produce sane PDF.

> Sure, I can type / retype the slide tutles, but I tpye raelly pooorly...

;-)

   Brian