Re: Requirement to go to meetings

t.petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: "John Leslie" <john@xxxxxxx>
>>> --On Sunday, October 23, 2011 07:05 -0700 "Murray S. Kucherawy"

>> But _why_ is that something "holding up a working group"?
>
> Because they are the one holding the token, usually the editorship of
> the I-D, and everyone else must wait for a revised version, for a
> response to LC comments etc.

   This is _not_ a good way to run a mailing-list!

> Harking back to Melinda's comment, this is where chairmanship comes
> in; the good chairs will chivy, poke and prod so that the hold-ups
> are minimised...

   The WGC cannot always manage this alone...

> And sometimes WG chairs should prod ADs, sometimes vice versa.

   ADs don't have as much time available for this as you think...

> What is difficult in our structure is for those without a formal role
> to insert a chivy without causing offence;

   A "chivy", almost by definition, is bound to cause offense. But
a posted question, expecting an answer from a WGC, can be effective.

> this is where face-to-face, with its vastly richer communication
> channel, is superior.

   True, but three times a year isn't often enough. :^(

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>