RE: Last Call <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt> (The Reasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM) to Informational RFC

Hi,

This is good input and made me realize what I disliked in the document which made me oppose to its publication. People (rightfully) pressed on the significance of the document to be about a general principle - one solution to any given problem. The IETF, _without_ external help, has a history of going down this road. Nobody stood up to stop that. Nobody wrote such a document then. Why now? Turf war, not invented here syndrome? I think it doesn't really matter. What would make my opposition go away is if we could write a more general document in which we point our own failings in the past, take this current issue into consideration and make it clear - in general - that the IETF is committed to follow this general principle more strictly in the future. _That_ would be a useful document and one which I would support. And it would be good if we could have such kind of pushback for multiple solutions in the future. WG chairs can take this document, show it to their WG and say "Guy
 s, this is a guiding IETF principle. Get your act together and come up with a single solution. We will not have two or more.". Just ranting about this particular case is not helpful with all the multi-solutions we have created ourselves.

Best,

Rolf

NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014