RE: [BEHAVE] Last Call: <draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-06.txt> (Dual Stack Hosts Using "Bump-in-the-Host" (BIH)) to Proposed Standard

The FTP server, using BIH, is an IPv4-only FTP server.  It
needs to listen on port 21 (the FTP control port), although if
a URI is used to access the FTP server, an alternate control
port can work alright (ftp://ftp.example.com:12345).

For a passive-mode transfer, the FTP server only needs to know the
"PASV" command  (because that is all that's necessary for an IPv4
FTP server; IPv4 FTP servers don't need to support EPSV and many
on the Internet do not support EPSV).  Also for a passive-mode
transfer, the FTP client needs to initiate the TCP connections
to a port on the FTP server.

For an active-mode transfer, the FTP server connects back to
the client, using the IPv4 address indicated in the FTP
control channel.

> You assume BIH host taking FTP sever.
> I'm not sure whether following scenarios are correct
>
> There are two possibilities
>
> Option 1:
>
> +---------------+
> |BIH(FTP sever) |----------NAT64-------FTP Client
> +---------------+
>

> Option 2:
>
> +---------------+
> |BIH(FTP sever) |--------------FTP Client
> +---------------+
>
> In the case of Option 1, it can't work since NAT64 couldn't support
> IPv4 initiated session

I agree it would fail with a passive-mode transfer.  But it should
work with an active-mode transfer.

> In the case of Option 2, it could work if BIH do ALG

Yep.

> BTW, if BIH takes the role of FTP client, I guess it works in both
> active and passive mode when NAT64 do ALG
>
> If there is something wrong, please correct me

-d