Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

Mike,

On Sep 22, 2011, at 9:02 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:

> Hi Bob -
>
> I actually think that delegating this to a co-chair or executive vice chair would work.  The similar military model is commander/executive officer where the commander (chair) is responsible for strategic thinking and the XO (co-chair) is responsible for tactical execution.  Also the commander tends to be outward facing and the XO inward facing.
>
> I don't know that the models are close enough to be a perfect fit, but they might suggest some ways of splitting up the load.

I prefer something like this vs. the current proposal.  The XO model is very tied in to the commander and it's reasonable to expect them to be in sync on important issues.  He/she probably doesn't last long if there isn't a close tie in.  Having the XO then be on the IAOC (and Trust) would work.

> If you wanted the chair to retain the IAOC/Trust, you'd have to be able to figure out what other responsibilities to parcel off to the co-chair. I'm not sure I agree with you that the IETF chair MUST be on the IAOC.  In any case,  I definitely think giving a co-chair the General Area would make sense.  Maybe also sticking him/her with the document review responsibility (but leave the decision for the vote in the chair's hand but be based on the co-chairs recommendation).

Yes, something like that.

> The other reason I suggested adding a co-chair is that our process of finding an IETF chair replacement is haphazard at best and criminally negligent at worst.  I'd really like to get a few apprentices identified and qualified before Russ quits or dies from overwork.  Having someone do part of the job and observe the rest seems to be a reasonable approach to meeting that (what I perceive as a ) need.

I generally agree, but I would still have it be a nomcom decision.  If they didn't think the XO was ready to be promoted (following your model) to commander, they could bring someone else in.

Bob