Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

Hi Bob -

I actually think that delegating this to a co-chair or executive vice chair would work.  The similar military model is commander/executive officer where the commander (chair) is responsible for strategic thinking and the XO (co-chair) is responsible for tactical execution.  Also the commander tends to be outward facing and the XO inward facing.

I don't know that the models are close enough to be a perfect fit, but they might suggest some ways of splitting up the load.

If you wanted the chair to retain the IAOC/Trust, you'd have to be able to figure out what other responsibilities to parcel off to the co-chair. I'm not sure I agree with you that the IETF chair MUST be on the IAOC.  In any case,  I definitely think giving a co-chair the General Area would make sense.  Maybe also sticking him/her with the document review responsibility (but leave the decision for the vote in the chair's hand but be based on the co-chairs recommendation).

The other reason I suggested adding a co-chair is that our process of finding an IETF chair replacement is haphazard at best and criminally negligent at worst.  I'd really like to get a few apprentices identified and qualified before Russ quits or dies from overwork.  Having someone do part of the job and observe the rest seems to be a reasonable approach to meeting that (what I perceive as a ) need.

Mike