Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Thomas Narten <narten@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What is needed is someone who is fully engaged in the IAOC.

Having a vote doesn't automatically get you that. Indeed, I would
assume most votes are a formality, with decisions reached mostly by
consensus.

Both the IAOC and the Trust do in practice run on consensus. I believe that the number of close votes, in the entire
history of both organizations, could be counted on the figure of one hand.

Regards
Marshall

If, in fact, votes are close on a regular basis, the IAOC
likely has bigger problems, IMO.

Seems to me that having an I* chair vote is designed to force them to
pay attention and be accountable.

The key quesion, IMO, is whether it is acceptable to have an I* chair
offload the responsibility for paying attention and being engaged.

I'm hearing some say "yes" and others say "no".

Thomas