Wikis for RFCs

On Sep 16, 2011, at 9:39 AM, Keith Moore wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2011, at 10:52 AM, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
>
>> Again I would like to bring up the idea of every RFC having an associated wiki page(s). The goal here is to provide a way for implementors to add comments, annotations, clarifications, corrections etc to augment the RFCs. Whilst such commentary can often be found on IETF mailing lists after an RFC is published locating those and searching them can be tedious - plus the full history of discussion on various points is often not relevant to an implementor - all they need to know is what is the correct way to do it now.
>>
>> Doing something like this would obviously require some investment in additional infrastructure. There are also questions about how we would maintain the integrity of the information on the wiki pages, but I think those are things we can easily address.
>
> This is something that could be implemented on a volunteer basis as an experiment.  If it worked, perhaps IETF could be convinced to take it over.

Volunteer moderating of such a Wiki could easily lead to the wiki being of little or no value, and being an embarrassment to the IETF. Consider an RFC that might be construed as supporting the use of NATs on the Internet. Open commenting on the RFC could be fodder for certain people commenting about the applicability of the RFC because NATs Are Evil. There would then likely be counter-comments from people who feel that NATs Have Value. Such comments, if moderated, could be very valuable to an implementer who knows about the RFC but not the bigger picture; unmoderated comments would be no more useful than some of the permathreads on the WG list that created the RFC.

Wikipedia is about the only example of working volunteer moderation, and even then, there are cabals that supported by the paid management. Few, if any, of the unmanaged wiki sites have long-lasting value.

--Paul Hoffman