Re: Conclusions on draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

Margaret:

>> The IESG discussed the situation with this draft on its call yesterday and decided to approve the document. A formal approval notice will be forthcoming in the next couple of days.
>
> What did the IESG decide about when/how this draft will take effect?  Has a group been formed to assess its impact and/or to make sure that any changes related to this draft happen in a coordinated fashion?

Section 2.3 of the document addresses some of this topic.  I do not believe that a coordinated effort is needed.

> Do we need any tracker (or other secretariat tools) upgrades as a result of this change?  If so, is there a plan in place to do those upgrades?

There is a very minor Datatracker change needed.  The 'Draft Standard' option needs to be removed for publication requests.  Until this happens, ADs and Secretariat staff need to avoid choosing it.

> Has there been any discussion with the RFC editor on how/when such changes can be implemented in their process/tools?

Several months ago, there was a brief discussion.  Since all of the current Draft Standards remain so, there is nothing urgent.

> I'm interested in knowing what sort of planning is underway for this change and when it is expected to happen, because there will be some (not extensive, but non-trivial) updates required to the EDU Team materials related to this change (mostly in the Newcomer's training that Scott Bradner teaches, and the Document Lifecycle course that Alice Hagens and I teach), and I'd like to know the schedule for when they should be completed.

When the RFC is published, I would expect publication requests for Draft Standard to stop.

> Also, as you look at other proposed changes, please remember that any change that we make does have some costs associated with it.

Thanks,
Russ