Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

IAOC members are like all other IETF members. We pay for our hotel rooms. That means when I have a full-time job that wants me at the IETF, I stay at the convention hotel. When I don't have a full-time sponsor, like now, I stayed at:

o   A charming bed & breakfast 500m from the Maastricht convention center. The entire week was the price of one night at the NH. In 2010 US Dollars, about USD 215. In 2011 US Dollars, about USD 260. Then again, that was per week, not per night.

o   A Hilton in Beijing. That was free for me, as I had tons of HHonors points. Taxi ~ USD 6/day.

o   The Hilton in Prague. Score! More HHonors points. Before anyone cries foul, I am NOT on the IAOC venue selection committee, so no, I had no influence on picking a Hilton.

o   A tourist hotel 2.5km from the Quebec convention center. That hotel was CDN 140/night less expensive than the Hilton. CDN 20/day, including tip, if you took a taxi by yourself. Much cheaper if you took mass transit. Yes, now I am low on Hilton points.

In Beijing and Quebec I moved to the conference hotel mid-week because I had a sponsor for half the week. Your mileage may vary.