RE: [precis] Path towards a multilingalization IUse referent

> From: Andrew Sullivan
>
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 01:08:29AM +0200, jefsey wrote:
> > However, the Internet MUST be supported by a
> > network/human oriented universal semiotic system.
>
> I would like a defence of that claim.  Speaking entirely personally, I
> don't believe it.

Hmmm, my opinion is that I would be pleased if I understood the
demand.

But in my social context, when someone argues for a universal
communication system, they usually continue with a demand that
everybody speaks English.  And I don't think that's what we intend.
(<-- this is a joke)

But there is a similar danger with any "universal semiotic system", in
that the more systematic we make it, the less well it aligns with many
of the thousands of human cultures  (<-- this is not a joke)

(In critiques of the Pioneer plaque it was noted that the "arrow" as a
textual convention depends on a cultural history of bow-and-arrow
use.  So much for universal symbols.)

Dale