Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-08.txt> (Reducing the Standards Track to Two Maturity Levels) to BCP

>>> I really have to wonder if the entire yes/no-obj/discuss voting model
>>> is appropriate for document advancement. For initial approval at
>>> proposed, sure, having the ability to "discuss" the document makes
>>> all sorts of sense. But for subsequent steps that virtue is a lot
>>> obvious, to me at least.
>>
>>  This, IMHO, is the right question: Does yes/no-obj/discuss resolve
>> the right issues when advancing from PS to DS?
>
> IMO, IESG members ought to be able to vote "no" if, after first voting "discuss" and not having the issue resolved within a well-defined amount of time, they still believe that the document should not progress.  That goes for any standards level.
>
> (That's not to say that a single "no" vote should suffice to block progress of a document.)
>
> "Discuss" is not the problem.  "Discuss" is actually a really good idea.  The problem is the lack of a "no" vote, which causes people to interpret "discuss" as if it were "no".

We are a bit off topic here, at least for this subject line.

The IESG did make some changes to the voting procedures a couple of years ago.  The change was to make it clear that a single DISCUSS position could not block a document.  That is, the IESG believes in rough consensus too.  The current rules are available here:

   http://www.ietf.org/iesg/voting-procedures.html

Now, please return to the Last Call discussion of draft-housley-two-maturity-levels on this subject line.  If we want to discuss the IESG ballot process further, please start a new thread.

Russ