Re: The fallacy of perfection (Re: DKIM Signatures now being applied to IETF Email)

SM wrote:
Hi Carsten,
At 11:46 09-08-2011, Carsten Bormann wrote:
For another perspective on this, see section 2.7 "The fallacy of perfection" in "Garrulity and Fluff".
(http://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2011/04/Bormann.pdf)

That's an interesting document.  From Section 2.1:

Yes, it is a interesting document.

.... In simple terms, that protocol that has been designed to do almost everything won't gain traction if the input from operators is not taken into account.

+1 and this, in my opinion, is the blessing and curse of the IETF and when coupled with the outdated Rough Consensus decision making guideline, it can have had a negative impact in the final outcome.

I have been part of several open technical standard organizations where the philosophical difference of the mixed discipline environment, i.e. Administrators vs Developers was the source of doom, especially when the art of compromising is lacking or unachievable.

My view, it all begins with the main source. It is very important the editor(s) recognize input is coming from all sides. Once they shun one group over another and use Rough Consensus (RC) as the measuring stick to shun others, its over. Everyone loses.

RC is ok when everyone in the group (team) have a similar discipline or mindset. But when there extreme mindsets, it simply doesn't work for the benefit of the main WG or protocol goal. This is like prematurely inviting a technical sales team, documentation team or help desk to a project R&D effort. They might fit better during a early functional requirement stage or Product R&D effort, but when conflicts mindset are smack in the middle of a protocol design, that spells problems.

Of course, All input is input so generally, at the end of the day, this is more about a management problem - a.k.a IETF WG Chairs. Ideally, the editors should be very keen to these differences

Anyway, today, I don't think Rough Consensus is a good decision making, issues settling tool that can resolve problems by blowing away a good size minority out the door. That causes problems. When there is disperse group, I believe a super majority is a fundamental and statistically correct requirement that have a maximum beneficial outcome. This is akin to adding features to a product; when there is no clear answer - you make it optional. Throwing it away will invite support issues. :)

I said more than I wanted to, but its just my opinion.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com