Re: [hybi] Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> (The WebSocket protocol) to Proposed Standard

2011/7/21 David Endicott <dendicott@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I am strongly opposed to any MUST definition for any type of URL resolution.

SIP and XMPP mandate (MUST) a resolution mechanism based on NAPTR, SRV
and A/AAAA records. Are they also wrong? do you also oppose to the DNS
MX resolution (as mandatory) for a mailto: URI? Do you imagine that a
mail server admin could not assume that SMTP clients would always use
MX resolution as the first choice? annoying that you say that, sorry.

> I'm ok with inheriting / mimicking HTTP.    Since it is intended to live in
> the same universe as HTTP, I'm ok with it sharing mechanisms / limitations.

Yes, I assume many people in the HTTP warden is fine with this. That
is the problem: forcing a *new* protocol to inherit ugly limitations
just because "people is used to them". I don't understand how you can
prefer to ignore cool NEW solutions/mechanisms. This should not be a
valid argument in a new protocol design.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc@xxxxxxxxx>