Re: Another look at 6to4 (and other IPv6 transition issues)

On 2011-07-16 03:55, John C Klensin wrote:

> (2) Pull the "-advice" document back from the RFC Editor queue
> and fold the actual substantive content of the "-historic"
> document into it, preferably as a very clear and very prominent
> Applicability Statement.

I am very strongly against this. The advisory document received extremely
strong support and excellent technical input from a wide cross section
of the IPv-anything operational community and has been fully approved
and is ready to go. I originally hoped it could be published for
World IPv6 Day, but having missed that date, it remains urgent to get
it out there, and to publicise it to operators who are not aware
of the issues.

We can spend another few months debating the exact form of words for
a normative document advising implementors to do what most of them
are now doing; I don't care and it basically doesn't matter except
in the IETF's tiny world. That isn't what's important. What's
important is to get as many operators as possible doing what they
can to ameliorate the situation.

   Brian