Re: Comments surrounding draft-iab-dns-applications-01

In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1107041959400.29602@xxxxxxxxx>, "John R. Levine" wri
tes:
> > Reverse IPv6 caches well.  You just can't pre-populate servers with PTR
> > records for all 2^64 ptr records in a normal IPv6 subnet.  You need to
> > use tools that add records for nodes that actually exist.  Those tools
> > are a decade old now.
>
> Over in e-mail land, we've been pondering the behavior of spammers, who
> will likely hop to a different IPv6 address for every spam. If you do rDNS
> lookups, your cache will fill up with useless entries, maybe PTR, maybe
> NXDOMAIN, it hardly matters.  DNSBLs and DNSWLs, if done the same way as
> they are in IPv4, have the same problem.  These issues are well known in
> the mail ops community, where it's now the standard advice not to try rDNS
> lookups on incoming IPv6 mail.

Or you just tune the cache retention times.  For NXDOMAIN/NODATA
that's 3 hours by default for named but could be tuned down to 10
minutes or lower without ill effects.  RFC 2308 recommends 1-3 hours.

I also don't see the point in worrying about this.  Caches cope
with spammers using a different From domains on each piece of email
which is looked up in the DNS.  The worst using a different IPv6
address per email can do is double the cache requirements for the
same volume of email.

LRU cleaning of the cache will cope with this.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx