Re: Comments surrounding draft-iab-dns-applications-01

In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1107040940090.60353@xxxxxxxxx>, "John R. Levine" wr
ites:
> >> So my advice would be to back up and write down in one or two
> >> sentences what problem this document is supposed to fix or at least
> >> describe, and then see how much of the rest of it might be salvaged.
> >
> > I was thinking of storing data in DNS and the document proved valuable to
> > determine whether its a good idea or not. I mean, not whether it is
> > technically feasible, but whether it makes sense at all.
> >
> > So, while the mission statement may be a bit unclear, it's definitely a
> > useful document.
>
> I agree that such a document would be useful, but this isn't it.
> Applications are poorly suited for the DNS if they need fuzzy matches, or
> range queries, or have query patterns that don't cache well.  (IPv6 rDNS
> has that last problem.)  You can argue about how large query and response
> sizes should be, although DNSSEC has forced an answer to that one.

Reverse IPv6 caches well.  You just can't pre-populate servers with PTR
records for all 2^64 ptr records in a normal IPv6 subnet.  You need to
use tools that add records for nodes that actually exist.  Those tools
are a decade old now.

> Applications that map fixed query names to (more or less) fixed responses
> work fine on top of the DNS, even if the query doesn't look much like a
> host name and the response looks nothing at all like an A record, e.g.,
> NAPTR.
>
> A document that described the actual technical architecture of the DNS,
> without confusing it with the design of applications built on top of the
> DNS would be a good idea.  I suppose I could try and write one.
>
> Regards,
> John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies
> ",
> Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly