Re: Why ask for IETF Consensus on a WG document?

Hi Melinda,

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/24/2011 06:46 AM, Donald Eastlake wrote:
>>
>> If polls at area meetings with 100+ people at them at three successive
>> IETF meetings on different continents consistently show, say, a 3 to 1
>> preference for some proposal but the IETF Last call email has 6 people
>> speaking against and only 4 in favor, what do you think the right
>> judgement would be as to the consensus of the IETF community?
>
> My understanding is that any decisions reached at meetings must
> be ratified on mailing lists, which seems to me to suggest something
> about order of precedence.

It depends on what you mean by "ratified". I suppose a WG meeting
could be said to have "reached a decision" but it isn't a decision of
the WG, just the meeting. It must be brought up on the WG mailing list
to provide broader opportunity for input, positive or negative. After
it has been brought up on the mailing list, then the WG Chair(s) judge
what the WG consensus is. It is certainly not required that, in making
that judgement, the WG Chairs can only look at WG mailing list
postings.

> Melinda

Thanks,
Donald