Re: Why ask for IETF Consensus on a WG document?

On 24/06/11 15:17, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2011, at 2:40 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>
>> In addition to the other factors already mentioned, I didn't
>> see what I thought were significant new facts or issues being
>> raised at the IETF LC. I think that such things are perhaps
>> more likely to cause the IETF rough consensus to differ from
>> that in the WG. In this case, it looked to me like people
>> were bringing concerns already expressed in the WG to the
>> attention of the wider community, which is a reasonable thing
>> to do in cases like this where the WG consensus was already
>> fairly rough.
>
> My (possibly-flawed) reading of the responses was that none of the people objecting to the publication of this document during IETF LC were WG participants.

I had the opposite impression. I thought that I saw people
say a few times, "when you brought this up in the WG" type
remark as well (but I've not looked back).

> So, while they might have brought up points already considered by the
WG, they were not bringing up ones that they had already expressed.

> Is it then your (individual) opinion that issues that were raised in a WG but determined to not be strong enough to affect WG rough consensus should be ignored when determining IETF rough consensus? That's a reasonable opinion, but not one I had heard before. At least, it helps answer the question of what a WG non-participant needs to do to cause a WG document to not pass IETF consensus.

No. Not "ignored," but I do think that finding out new facts
and cross-cutting considerations are an important part of
IETF LC. (And recall that I started my mail by saying that
I was just adding an additional point.)

So I don't think I've answered your question, or at best,
only partly.

S.

(And of course I'm not talking for the IESG here, just
saying what I did/think - what hat is that anyway? :-)