RE: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-04.txt> (Request to move Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds (6to4) to Historic status) to Informational RFC

From: Keith Moore [mailto:moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 6:48 PM
To: George, Wesley
Cc: ietf@xxxxxxxx; v6ops@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-04.txt> (Request to move Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds (6to4) to Historic status) to Informational RFC

KM>I've been using 6to4 on a regular, often daily, basis since the late 1990s.   6to4 has allowed me to develop IPv6 applications and test them on real networks, and deploy them in limited circumstances.  6to4 has also allowed me to remotely access computers on my SOHO networks, using any application protocol that I chose to do so, with out-of-the-box hardware and software, without any application-specific proxies, and generally without any application-specific configuration.  None of these scenarios required a relay router.  All of them were, and continue to be, useful.

KM> Yes, I've experienced on many occasions that using 6to4 to access dual-stack web servers doesn't always work so well.  Sometimes it picks a suboptimal path because the relay router isn't convenient.  Sometimes the v6 path doesn't work at all and the application has to time out and retry using v4.   But this never really bothered me much, because my purpose in using 6to4 wasn't to try to access services that I could get to via IPv4 anyway.  And neither, I suggest, is that a reasonable metric for evaluating 6to4 or any other IPv6 transition mechanism.   The metric for evaluating an IPv6 transition mechanism should be based on its effectiveness in accessing services that are IPv6 only.

WEG> Again, are you or are you not using a relay router? You keep going back and forth.

Bluntly, this isn’t about whether you, or anyone else at IETF use 6to4. We are the longest of the long tail; the smallest percentage, the exception to the rule, not the exception that proves the rule. We’re network geeks; we’re willing to deal with dodgy connectivity or otherwise fiddly methods of doing things to test them and to prove a point. This discussion cannot be about whether the protocol should be preserved because some marginal percentage of folks in IETF use 6to4 successfully. I am not disagreeing that for some value of “work” 6to4 works to reach IPv6-only things. What I am saying is that the very things you illustrate here make it only acceptable for testing, and not for any sort of real substitute for IPv6 connectivity. What user is going to accept +100ms in latency due to suboptimal relay choice, or waiting multiple seconds for IPv6 to time out because 6to4 didn’t work in that particular network setup? I think that the evidence says that 6to4 is actually *ineffective* by the evaluation you suggest – a good portion of the time it either utterly fails or provides such degraded service that it may as well not work.

KM> - Enterprises have applications that need to be able to communicate with large numbers of hosts spread over a diverse area.  IPv6 is clearly the way that they want to go, but it's not widely available at present.  6to4 provides them with a means of routing traffic to their hosts in the interim until widespread support for IPv6 exists.

WEG> So do IPv6IP or GRE tunnels. Been using one at home for 3+ years now. And honestly, if this type of application is going to be enterprise-class, it needs to be in conjunction with ISP deployment of IPv6, not in spite of it.

KM> What you're saying is that applications developers shouldn't bother with actually trying to use IPv6 until the ISPs get their act together and deploy it.  Well guess what?  The ISPs have let us down.  We've been waiting for 15 years for the ISPs to roll out IPv6, and for most of those 15 years they were all telling us that there were no applications for it.  Now the ISPs are scrambling to get IPv6 into their networks, and they want to sabotage the IPv6 mechanisms that we have in place even before they are actually offering product.

WEG> Yes, yes, shame on the big, bad ISPs and their lack of deployment. Trust me, I’m as annoyed with the ISPs I’ve worked for and been a customer of that it is taking so long to get IPv6 out there too.

But…6to4 sabotaged itself. This draft is acknowledging reality that it really didn’t work the way we’d hoped. There is no active malevolence here on the part of the ISPs. In fact many of them (us?) have deployed or will be deploying 6to4 relays to improve the customer experience until native service is available, and are supporting the recommendations to make 6to4 suck less in draft-carpenter.

> [...]

WEG> LSN is a necessary evil brought on by the lack of ubiquitous IPv6 support, which has many causes. I don’t like it either. The thing you are failing to realize is that IETF saying that 6to4 use is a bad idea in no way stops consenting adults from using it in spite of the side effects and contraindications, but it does put a much finer point on those contraindications.

KM> I have no doubt that many of those "major content providers" are correct when they don't see 6to4 as an acceptable substitute for them.  But the Internet doesn't exist just to support "major content providers".  So stop trying to sabotage something that works well enough for other users.

WEG> Not trying to imply that it does. I’m saying that your definition of “works well enough” and the average user’s are widely different, making 6to4 a no-op for the average user. The content providers’ position on end users trying to use 6to4 to reach their content is an example of that point.

WEG> Why are we having a World IPv6 Day? In part to shake loose the broken 6to4 users that may not even know that 6to4 is enabled/broken so that content providers can be more confident that they can dual-stack their websites without risk of significant user impact due to breakage.

KM> I'm looking forward to World IPv6 Day, and what will be learned from it.   But again, how well 6to4 works with "major content providers" is irrelevant.

WEG> I might argue that this is because 6to4 is largely irrelevant and will become increasingly more so as major ISPs roll out IPv6 in the next 12-18 months. This is about removing barriers to deployment and use of IPv6 for the increasing population of Native IPv6 users, not trying to buff the turd for a tiny (but unfortunately very vocal) minority.

WEG>Finally, we're having problems with equipment that doesn't support IPv6 at all. 6to4 is not high on the priority list to implement compared with a functional IPv6 stack, meaning that on new gear, it likely won't get implemented until it's no longer necessary.

KM> Gear that doesn't support IPv6 by now is pretty odd gear.     But I'm not going to tell you not to use it.  I'm just saying, if you want odd gear to work for you in your own specific use cases, don't try to sabotage other odd things that work for other people in their specific use cases.

WEG> No. As have multiple others, you assume that I am talking about the usual suspects in core routing and enterprise-class networking and servers. The consumer electronics space is WOEFULLY behind by comparison. That’s not “odd” gear. And this isn’t about me (for some value of me) wanting that gear to work for some corner case application. This is  about me having to support millions of customers who want that gear to work because they don’t want to buy replacements for something that they see as working just fine today. See also CGN = necessary evil.

Wes George