Re: problems with mail.ietf.org

--On Friday, April 22, 2011 14:29 +0200 Francis Dupont
<Francis.Dupont@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> mail.ietf.org changed its IPv4 address (it was 64.170.98.32,
> now it is 208.66.40.236) leaving at its previous address
> something (i.e., a SMTP server) which blindly eats messages.
>
> I strongly suggest to remove the SMTP server at
> the previous address so it no longer misleads people
> to believe their messages where successfully posted,
> or worse, "I proposed to fix the IP protocol by putting
> the addresses in the right order and nobody objects?!" (:-).

Francis,

I don't understand what you think is a problem or what problem
you are encountering.   An MX query for ietf.org yields
mail.ietf.org and an address query for the latter yields the
current address (as do the additional information records for
the first query).  Both sets of records seem to have
appropriately-short TTLs.  So I'm having trouble guessing why
your systems are still seeing 64.170.93.22, much less sending
mail to it.

I agree that having a system floating around that runs an SMTP
server but that eats messages ("blindly" or not) is undesirable
as an operational policy, but I'm having trouble understanding
why any of us should actually care if other things are
configured and working correctly (as they appear to be).

Could you explain?

    john