Re: Buckets of spam coming through IETF lists

On 4/1/2011 9:08 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
On Apr 1, 2011, at 10:28 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
Some clever spambot seems to have scraped a bunch of addresses out of the
archives and is sending spam with multiple addresses on the From: line
through IETF and IRTF mailing lists.  Surely I'm not the only one who's
seeing it.

DKIM is directly designed to address this... What do we need to do to put it
in play?

Unfortunately, DKIM is /not/ design to address this. DKIM is designed to provide a reliable, accurate identifier upon which reputation data can be developed.

That's a fundamentally different task from detected invalid From: field contents.

ADSP, and add-on to DKIM, is felt by its promoters to be useful for detecting invalid From: fields, but it does not work through mailing lists.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking