IETF Badge Checking

There was some discussion at the Wednesday plenary IAOC open mic about the badge checking that took place during the Beijing IETF meeting.  I thought it would be good to clarify what happened at that meeting.

The IAOC was not aware that badge checking was going to happen prior to this meeting. It was implemented by the meeting host in conjunction with the hotel. It is our understanding that the host wanted to ensure that only registered attendees were given access to the IETF meeting rooms.

Had the IAOC been made aware of this prior to the meeting, we would have notified the community, similar to the way we notified the community that there would be a need for wireless network login well in advance of the Beijing meeting.

In the future if there is a need for badge checking (or network login) at an IETF meeting, the IAOC will notify the community as early as possible. Also, if we plan meetings in similar venues we will determine if anything like this is a local requirement.

Bob Hinden
IAOC Chair