Re: [TLS] Last Call: <draft-kanno-tls-camellia-00.txt> (Additionx

Eric Rescorla wrote:

> > If we move in a new, stronger crypto-algorithm, then we should not
> > unreasonably spoil its properties.
> >
> > Truncating a SHA-384 based PRF to 12 octets is like using
> > an sha384WithRsaEncryption signature with a 1024 bit RSA key,
> > it is an imbalanced pairing of algorithms&keys.
>
> Again, I don't understand this: TLS already (as of TLS 1.0) truncated
> the PRF down to 12 bytes, so we are already producing an output that is
> substantially shorter than the digest that is the basis of the function.
> If the security arguments for why that is good are valid (and FWIW I
> think they are) then as far as I can tell they are
> equally applicable to SHA-384.

The truncation of hashes/PRFs/HMACs is a trade-off.

A trade-off between collision-resistance and how much clue
is provided about the input.

A (20/0) trade-off provides the smalles possible clue,
but completely spoils the collision-resistance (i.e. it becomes
useless for verification purposes).

A (20/20) trade-off retains the full collision resistance,
but provides the largest amount of clue for verification
of input paramters.

The trade-off that was chosen for SHA-1 was (20/12) or (160/96).
which is 1.666666666

TLS uses a different trade-off, but I'm not aware of any rationale
why the original trade-off in TLSv1.0/TLSv1.1 should have been
inappropriate.  The logical choice in TLSv1.2 would therefore
have been to use (32/20) = 1.6 for a PRF that uses SHA-256.
And any _other_ trade-off (such as the one in rfc-5246) should
require a _new_ justification.

-Martin