Re: Where to find IETF recommendations?

Tony, Dave,

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 19:59 +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> On 1 Mar 2011, at 18:56, Dave CROCKER <dhc2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > If you all promise to keep in mind that it is only a /very/ rough
> > and formative effort, please take a look at:
> >
> >   <http://bbiw.net/trac/suites/>

This seems like the kind of thing I was thinking of.

> There are also some groups of RFCs listed at
> http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/index.html

While this is better than nothing, it's almost the same as using the
RFC-editor search page. I mean, looking at the IMAP documents:

http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/ipoplist.html

Does a modern implementer really care about IMAP version 2? Maybe they
do, if it's in use commonly today, but probably not. Surely an IMAP
expert could look at that list and say, perhaps, the ACL extension is
almost never used (I have no idea if this is true, this is just an
example).

So, would RFC 1639 - FTP Operation Over Big Address Records (FOOBAR) be
included in a list of FTP documents, even though everybody actually uses
RFC 2428 (FTP Extensions for IPv6 and NATs)? I would argue "no", or
rather that there should be some editorial content letting people know
that, frankly, FOOBAR is exactly what it claims to be. ;) (And before
people mention that it's experimental, RFC 5006 - IPv6 Router
Advertisement Options for DNS Configuration - now obsoleted by RFC 6106
- was experimental for a few years and was actually probably something
that *is* worthwhile implementing.)

Sorry this is a bit ranting. I don't mean to be negative! I'm actually
hopeful that some solutions can be found.

--
Shane