Re: RFC production center XML format usage, was: [IAOC] xml2rfc and legal services RFPs

Hi Andrew,

On 2011-02-24 16:28 Andrew Sullivan said:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:18:10AM -0500, Worley, Dale R (Dale) wrote:
>>
>> I would expect that the idnits rules change only very slowly.  What is the real story on that?
>
> They seem to change more quickly than people realise.  Also, of
> course, a whole bunch of changes can go by between a given
> contributor's last I-D, and a current one.  Not all the changes are
> intentional; they're often pretty clearly based on heuristics that as
> often as not look to me like they're derived from what certain tools
> do.  So then if someone submits something that doesn't do exactly what
> those tools do, they get a false failure.
>
> Note that none of this is to attack the tools developers.  I've ranted
> before about the absurdity of checking the formatting of early drafts
> for perfection, so I won't bother again.

Still, I feel that the characterization above is less than spot-on.  Idnits
in submission-checking mode only returns errors for a few selected things
out of the myriad of things it is able to check, and those things are
clearly required by http://www.ietf.org/id-info/1id-guidelines.txt .

Only errors will prevent an automatic draft submission from going through;
ignore the warnings and comments to your heart's content for that purpose.

If you have examples of drafts which conform to the submission requirements
of 1id-guidelines.txt, but don't pass the submission check mode of idnits,
*please* tell me about them so I can fix things.

The ratio of gripes against idnits to actual bug reports is getting to
be a bit annoying; and I'd like to suggest that people either submit
bug reports, or direct the complaints against the requirements of
1id-guidelines.txt rather than against the tool which checks the
requirements if the problem is that the requirements are too strict.

	Henrik