Re: [IAOC] xml2rfc and legal services RFPs

Bob,

On 2011-02-22 08:23, Bob Hinden wrote:
> John,
>
> Support for the xml2rfc tool was discussed on the IETF mail
> list when Marshall Rose indicated he could no longer support
> the tool.  Several people volunteered to maintain the tool,
> and they recommended the it be rewritten.  That
> recommendation plus the realization that this tool had become
> critical to IETF operations resulted in the IAOC deciding to
> issue a public RFP for a rewrite.
>
> The Statement of Work in the xml2rfc RFP was reviewed and
> modified by the people on the tool-development list.  You can
> read the discussion at:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tools-development/current/maillist.html
>
> There was an active discussion that resulted in many changes
> from what was first proposed.  While this wasn't the whole
> community I think it a good representation of the people who
> are interested in the xml2rfc tool.  I will send you the list
> members off line.  Also, we will use a subset of this group
> to review the bids.

I think the tools development list was a good venue for the
detailed discussion. Was the process mentioned on tools-discuss
too? (I dropped off that one a while back, due to lack of
cycles, but it does seems the obvious place, not to mention the
xml2rfc list, where I don't recall it being mentioned).

> The legal services RFP was developed inside the IAOC/Trust.
> To be honest, I didn't see very much value in doing a
> community review for this.  We will consider it in the
> future.  I do note that this work was previously done without
> a public RFP (dating back to when Wilmer-Hale was providing
> the service) so I think this is a better process than what
> was used earlier.
>
> In the future, we will strive to give more notice to the
> community on planned RFPs.

I think that is appropriate, given the comments in BCP 101
about transparency. But I agree that for legal services, our
community doesn't particularly have the skills to wordsmith
an RFP.

   Brian