Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

On 2011-01-30 09:52, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> On 1/29/2011 12:10 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> On 2011-01-27 16:29, Scott O. Bradner wrote:
>>> 4/ as part of #3 - the rules should also specifically deal with
>>>     the following pp from 2026
>>>
>>>        The requirement for at least two independent and interoperable
>>>        implementations applies to all of the options and features of the
>> Actually the draft does not appear to require interoperability testing
>> at all:
>>
>>       "* There are a significant number of implementations with
>>          successful operational experience."
>>
>> Is that intentional? I thought interop was generally regarded as
>

> People are confusing testing with use. Those are two different kinds of
> "interoperability", with the latter being far more stringent.
>
> The new draft specifies the latter.  And it quite intentionally does not
> specify the former.

Please point to the text that requires *any* kind of interoperability
being demonstrated by running code. "successful operational experience"
does not state or imply interoperation between independent implementations.

This is a big change in principle from 2026, which is not what is advertised
on the box as "primarily a reduction from three IETF standards track
maturity levels to two."

I want a two stage process, but I don't want to lose interoperability as
an explicit criterion. To me, that's always been the meaning of the
"running code" slogan.

     Brian