From: Ben Campbell <ben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Bocci, Matthew (Matthew)" <matthew.bocci@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART LC Review of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-uni-nni-02

Thanks for the quick response. Also see below. I elided sections that I
think have been addressed.

On Dec 22, 2010, at 5:44 AM, Bocci, Matthew (Matthew) wrote:

> Ben,
>
> Thank you for your comments. Please see below.
>
> Best regards
>
> Matthew
>
> On 21/12/2010 22:13, "Ben Campbell" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

>> -- Section 1.1, 1st paragraph:
>>
>> More conventional in what context? Useful for what purpose?
>
> It is the convention to represent a UNI or NNI as a specific reference
> point between functional groups e.g. MEF E-NNI (Figure 2 of MEF26) or
>ATM
> UNI (ITU-T I.413), rather than to represent these as a span as in the
> original diagrams in RFC5921. I propose to rephrase this sentence to:
> "However, it is convention to illustrate these interfaces as reference
> points."
>
> With regard to your second question, I propose to rephrase the sentence
>as
> follows:
> "Furthermore, in the case of a UNI, it is useful to illustrate the
> distribution of UNI functions between the Customer Edge (CE) side and
>the
> Provider Edge (PE) side of the UNI (the UNI-C and UNI-N) in order to
>show
> their relationship to one another."

WFM

>> -- Figures 1 and 2:
>>
>> Is the meaning of the various line types described elsewhere? If so, a
>> statement to that effect with a reference would be helpful.
>
> We have used the same convention as RFC5921. However, there is no key
> there. I am not sure that a complete key would clarify the diagram as
>the
> same line type is used to represent multiple entities due to the limited
> umber of characters that are useful for ASCII drawing.

Ah, I agree it probably would be too much to add a complete key, and on
re-reading, I see most of the lines are sufficiently labeled. But I am
still confused by a few of them. For example, in under the UNI column, I
see both a single and double dashed (equal signs) line under the label of
"Client Traffic Flows". Should I assume those to just be two arbitrary
flows where the line type just helps me follow a particular flow, or are
they somehow different classes of flows?

MB> They are just flows belonging to arbitrary transport service
instances, and helps the reader to follow the path of the flow.

On the right side of the same diagram, I see 3 Transport Paths with an
outer set of arrows, and the lower two having another arrow between.
Should the outer arrows be interpreted as a "channel" over which client
traffic flows?

MB> The outer arrows are supposed to look like two sides of a tunnel (the
transport path) other which the transport service instance (TSI) is
transported.

>> -- Figure 2:
>>
>> I suggest expanding CP somewhere.
>
> CP is expanded in the terminology section.

So it is, right there at the top. (I could have sworn I did a text search
for that--looks like the search option in the iPad tool I use for
reviewing drafts is not reliable :-|)