Re: Change control

SM wrote:

> This is the second time in a year that I came across a case where a
> non-IETF group sought to maintain change control over a draft.  In
> the first case, several iterations of the draft were posted and the
> author solicited comments on an IETF mailing list.
>
>    (a) By making an IETF Submission, is an author allowing the IETF to have
>        change control on the work?

It is up to the author to include a suitable Copyright statement in
I-Ds that he uploads/submits to the IETF for publication as I-D.

You may find useful information about this here:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp78#section-3

>    (b) Is it appropriate to use a WG mailing list to discuss a work on
>        which the IETF does not have change control?

Ideally, a WG should keep the focus on the work that it chartered
_itself_ to work on.  WG chairs are entrusted with significant
discretion to contain discussions on the WG-list either within
chartered scope or when off-topic at acceptable levels--or
occasionally gauge WG consensus for rechartering.

>    (c) If the IETF Submission is covered by the WG Charter, can the WG
>        enhance the original contribution in accordance with the IETF
>        Standards Process by adopting it as a WG work item?

Copyright must be _granted_ by the author, so it is the other way round.
Before an individual submission I-D can be adopted as a WG item,
the contributor must grant the necessary rights (to produce derivative
works) to the IETF.

That's how I understand the second paragraph here:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp78#page-7

While the inclusion of the respective Copyright boilerplate by the
author in the the submission is technically sufficient,
I would consider it a courtesy to ask the original author for
consent anyway, especially if it is about a new I-D
(rather than an older RFC).

-Martin