Re: spec gen tools, was: Automatically updated Table of Contents with Nroff

On 30 Dec 2010, at 11:43, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As a document format, the XML2RFC format is terrible. It uses all the abominable features of SGML. Rather disappointingly for a format intended for use by a standards organization it is different to HTML in ways that serve no purpose other than to prevent the use of widely available tools.

Two key features that xml2rfc provides that HTML does not are automatic tables of contents and expansion of references from a central bibliography. You seem to think the latter is at least worth keeping and improving.

> One improvement that we could realize with little effort would be to simply replace the individual entity declaration files for the RFC references with one great big honking file containing all of them. That way it would only be necessary to maintain citations in two places rather than three as at present.
>
> It would be much better if the references could be generated automatically though.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/