Re: spec gen tools, was: Automatically updated Table of Contents with Nroff

On 30.12.2010 16:03, Carsten Bormann wrote:
Yes, that's why I always recommend not to use that style.

But hardwiring the references in the XML leads to manual updating (and forgetting that).
Having a tool for that is useful here (which is why kramdown-rfc2629 does this).

I dislike automatic updates for IDs, because I may miss something that's important (such as a Section number of ABNF term changing). Thus I prefer running a checker for up-to-date references.

For RFCs, the citations should be immutable anyway.

If you educate me what it's supposed to do (force a page break?),

Sometimes, it is worthwhile to add tweaks to the source files to get a page break.

Method one: abuse the non-semantic element vspace, which eats excessive blank lines when it causes a page break.
RFC 2629 2.3.1.7 actually recommends this:
   "This
    allows authors to "force" a pagebreak by using an arbitrarily large
    value, e.g., "blankLines='100'"."

What rfc2629.xslt could do is recognize unreasonably*) large values and do a page break instead of emitting tons of<br>  elements.
*) Some AI required.  Maybe "more than 60".

I'm in the process of adding this; although I'm not going to generate a page break (it's likely to be a micro-optimization for the text output, right?). Instead, I'll treat these <vspace> elements as a request for a single line break, so that the HTML output doesn't get messed up.

Method two: use the needLines PI, which is "documented" only in http://xml.resource.org/authoring/README.html -- it is a hint how many lines are needed to be able to continue on the current page (as opposed to starting a new one).  Those formatters producing continuous output should of course ignore it, so rfc2629.xslt already does the right thing.  It's less clear what exactly a print stylesheet should do here, as the concept of "lines" is not well-defined.

Indeed.

rfc2629.xslt *could* try to add CSS hints, but it's not really clear how this is going to help. After all, the generated HTML+CSS already contains the necessary data to keep things together that belong together (you can test that with the PrinceXML formatter).

Best regards, Julian