RE: [TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-ssl2-must-not-03.txt>

Martin Rex [mailto:mrex@xxxxxxx] writes:

> Glen Zorn wrote:

> > > messages."
> > > servers
> > > messages as
> > > clients."
> > > outright
> though:

> > > servers
> message of a
> legacy
> >
> > Maybe I just don't understand the word "use".  It seems like if a
> server
> > accepts a protocol message it's using the protocol...
>

> With "negotiate" I meant returning a ServerHello handshake message with
> that version number (neither an SSL 2.0 SERVER-HELLO, nor an SSLv3
> ServerHello with a server version of { 0x02,0x00 }).
>
> With "use" I meant to successfully complete the handshake and start
> exchanging application data protected under protocol version
> {0x02,0x00}.

Maybe you could spell these things out in the draft just as you have above?

> The Server accepts the SSL 2.0 CLIENT-HELLO protocol data unit (PDU),
> but not the SSL 2.0 protocol.

I see.  Perhaps the distinction between PDU and "protocol" is just too
subtle for me, but assuming (maybe too generously ;-) that I'm not a total
moron, others might find it a little bit confusing as well.