Re: Gen-ART last call review of draft-ietf-emu-eaptunnel-req-08

Hi Roni,

Sorry I missed your first message, thank you for resending it.    Comments in line below:

Cheers,

Joe

On Nov 27, 2010, at 11:34 PM, Roni Even wrote:

> Hi,
> I sent the following review on October 25th but did not see and response.
>
> Roni Even
>

> I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
>
> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you may receive.
>
> Document: draft-ietf-emu-eaptunnel-req-08
> Reviewer: Roni Even
> Review Date:2010–10–25
> IETF LC End Date: 2010–11–10
> IESG Telechat date:2010-12-2

> Major issues:
>
> Minor issues:
> 1.       In section 2  why not reference RFC 2119 or at least  copy the definition from RFC 2119 for  the capitalized term.

[Joe] We followed the convention used in RFC 5209 (NEA protocol requirements), because this document is defining requirements rather than the protocol itself.

> 2.       In section 3.9 when you say “if this technique is used”, by this do you mean certificate –less or the flow defined in the previous sentence.

[Joe] "if this technique is used" refers to certificatel-less authentication using the inner EAP method for client authentication without server authentication.   Perhaps the following sentence would be clearer:

"If an inner EAP method is used for client authentication without full server validation the inner method MUST provide
   resistance to dictionary attack and a cryptographic binding between the inner method and the tunnel method MUST be established. ..."

Does this help?

> 3.       In section 4.6.3 the first paragraph defines the requirements for Cryptographic Binding. It looks to me like the rest of the section talks about a specific use case, so why is it in the requirements section and not in section 3.

[Joe]  The majority of section 4.6.3 discusses a possible mechanism to achieve cryptographic binding.  While it is not specifically a requirement I think it supports the requirement defined in the first paragraph.  I do not think it belongs in the use case section.