Re: [79all] IETF Badge

On 11/11/2010 7:38 PM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
And having to display your badge = "dictate how we run our meetings" ???

Having a local organization dictate any procedure to the IETF is a matter of substance.

What if they dictated no breaks, or that we bring our own toilet paper or that we begin our meeting by having everyone stand up and do a brief set of exercises, or that we pledge allegiance to the national flag, or ...

Each of these is an existing "local custom" somewhere.

The underlying point is that some local customs are benign for the IETF and others are not and others are in a grey zone. Certainly anything involving a change in habitual IETF security procedures can be expected to be a sensitive matter.

That does not automatically make checking badges bad or unacceptable, but it does warrant raising a flag. As I recall, the challenge at the microphone included the observation that this was done without notice, for example.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking