Re: Proposed WG and BOF Scheduling Experiment

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 06:26:49PM -0800, The IESG wrote:
> The IESG is seriously considering a WG and BOF scheduling experiment.  The
> goal of the experiment is to provide WG agenda sooner and also provide
> more time to craft BOF proposals.

I think the goals are good.

> The proposed experiment includes three parts.  First, schedule all BOFs
> for Monday afternoon.  Second, schedule WGs before we know which BOFs will
> be held.  Finally, provide an additional four weeks to deliver BOF
> proposal to ADs.

I think that part 1 is potentially a problem, because of the same
conflict issues others have identified.

Scheduling all the BOFs at the beginning of the week actually does not
address the goals as stated.  It might address an additional goal,
which is that one can take advantage of the rest of the week to deal
with the BOF results.  But that advantage might not be enough to
offset the disadvantages of a lot of conflicts.  Also, whether there
is such an advantage could be measured later, in a different
experiment.

Therefore, I support the idea of undertaking this experiment without
the part where all the BOFs are scheduled for Monday afternoon.
Instead, spread the BOFs out as now.  I realise that this might
increase the chances that a BOF will cause scheduling conflicts for

It would also be nice if we had success criteria for the experiment,
so we have some way of deciding what to do with the results of the
experiment.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Shinkuro, Inc.