Re: More labels for RFCs (was: what is the problem bis)

--On Friday, October 29, 2010 12:20 -0400 Hadriel Kaplan
<HKaplan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2010, at 9:57 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
>
> That's why I think we need a different set of labels, e.g.
>
> Protocol-Quality.  We need a statement about the perceived
> quality of the protocol described in the document.   (Is this
> protocol well-designed for the anticipated use cases, or does
> it have significant flaws (including security flaws)?)
> Applicability.  We need a statement about the current
> applicability of the protocol described in the document.  (Is

Hi.

It is difficult to imagine how these sorts of idea would work in
conjunction with RFCs given that those are explicitly archival,
never-changing documents and your suggestions seem to imply
evolving classification and comment systems.

However, a number of similar ideas --including effectively
replacing Standards-Track Maturity levels with more descriptive
text and finer-grained comments were incorporated into a
proposal to the NEWTRK WG in 2005-2006.   I think it is safe to
suggest that the reasons why the proposal never went anywhere
remain controversial, but you might find it interesting
recreational reading:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-newtrk-repurposing-isd/

     john